Ingleside Fire Destroys Five Acres of Land

Tuesday, 21 December 2010

By Lee Harrison, The Ingleside Index
December 15, 2010

At 1:15 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 12, firefighters took 34 minutes to put out a fire that destroyed five acres in the 1500 block between Mooney and Morgan Lane in Ingleside.

Juveniles accidentally started the fire while playing with fireworks in dry brush. The scene was surrounded by 19 homes and 15 structures that were in imminent danger of being destroyed. In the end, no homes or structures were destroyed and no injuries occurred due to the outstanding response of emergency personnel.

The fire caused responses from fire departments in Ingleside, Aransas Pass, Portland, Ingleside on the Bay, Gregory, Rockport and Fulton. Also assisting were San Patricio County Sheriff, Ingleside Fire Corps, Ingleside Police, Ingleside Public Works, Tri-County EMS and one pirate. Incident Commander/Deputy Fire Chief R.J. Thomas who responded to the scene directly from the Renaissance Fair where he was to serve as contest judge.

There were approximately 54 men and woman who responded to the fire in an effort to protect all the homes in danger. Deputy Chief Thomas said, "Heavy smoke in wildland urban interface caused the homes and structures to be in real danger. We called more resources because we are part of a 12 county mutual aid system. We had to protect everyone."

Captain Steve Loving said, "These dry conditions are going to be very dangerous. It's going to be a busy season with folks wanting to set off fireworks for New Year's. We need to warn residents to be very cautious and heed any burn bans in effect."

Assistant Chief Mike Lovie said, "Homeowners came to the edge of their property while we are fighting the fire and they tried to wet down their lawns to protect their property. This is vey dangerous because the wind can shift at any time. They should be running away from their homes and let us handle the fire."

Due to the small ponds in the area, it was difficult to maneuver the fire trucks. Several got stuck and had to be pulled out.

Fire Marshall Stephen Burnett found a burned box of matches at the scene.

Ingleside Police Officer John Reed interviewed two of three juveniles involved. He said, "They were playing with fireworks, that started the fire. The kids immediately notified their parents. The investigation is continuing."

PDF Print Email
 

New? Start here

Find out the benefits of starting a Fire Corps program for your department.

Program Information

Learn how you can market and grow your existing Fire Corps program successfully.

Volunteers Needed

Are you interested in volunteering at your local Fire Corps program?